Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Personal Learning Network (PLN) - Top 5 ways to grow

ISTE Standards for teachers: #5. "Engage in professional growth and leadership."
5.  Email subscriptions
 I am a subscriber to several different professional email publications. The publications provide professional development and a myriad of resources.  One that I have been using recently is NewsELA. It provides current event articles that you can change the reading level to match the needs of your students.


I also get emails from Nearpod that keep me up to date with the tool and resources. They recently joined with OZY to provide articles that you can use with students and also share with colleagues.
Another newsletter that am subscribed to is Scholastic. The newsletters provide a variety of teaching ideas, ELA resources, and a variety of other articles and ideas.

These are all websites that I frequent regularly. I enjoy the email subscriptions since they come to my inbox and I don't have to go searching for them! 

4. Twitter
I have two twitter accounts that I try to use on a regular basis. I would love to grow in this area and use them more frequently, but there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in a day!
My PLN twitter is @lfryer12. I use this to connect to professional resources and personal interests. There are so many great companies and professionals out there to connect to who are sharing awesome ideas and resources. Last year, as a science teacher, I was able to connect with a marine biologist. We were studying environments so we had the chance to Skype with the biologists and learn about sharks!  The students absolutely loved it and were engaged the whole time.



I follow some great teaching professional resources like Edutopia, ASCD, EducationNation and more!   I have not viewed or used this as much as I would like to so I am going to challenge myself to find 5 new people or companies each day for the next month to follow.

I also have a classroom twitter account @Fryer127 to update information about the classroom. I go through spurts where I am really good about updating and then through times were I hardly ever update. I need to get more consistent at this.

3. Blogs 
Blogs are something that I would like to start following more in the future. I wish I had more time to blog for fun and to share my ideas. I just love that teachers are willing to put their ideas and resources out on the web to share with others. It is great to read about their successes teaching and their "failing forward" moments as well. I don't have any specific blogs that I follow regular, but I would like to add this task to my "to do" list to continue to develop my PLN. 

2. Facebook Page of Note and Notice 
I am a part of the "Notice and Note Book Club" group on Facebook.com. This group is made up of teachers and the authors of the Notice and Note book Kyleen Beers and Robert E Probst. We started using their book for ELA last year. The book has lessons and resources to teach signposts which is a close reading strategy. The Facebook group offers a safe place for teachers to share ideas and ask questions. Kyleen Beers will often respond to many of the questions or teaching ideas that are posted.  I really enjoy reading the questions and ideas that other teachers posts in this group.  

1. Pinterest
I could spend hours each day on Pinterest finding new ideas to help me grow as a professional. I currently have 29 boards. Click here to see my boards. 9 of them are devoted to school, the rest are personal interests. My boards are organized by grade level, subject area, and some even specific parts of content areas. I love that it is so easy to share and collect ideas on pinterest for anything and everything you can think of. Many of ideas that I adapt and use in my classroom come because of pins I have seen and try out. There are so many ways to grow professionally on Pinterest!


No comments:

Post a Comment